Gastronomy degree at Universidad del Istmo is a career that is revolutionizing the culinary world in Guatemala. Our professors are highly qualified professionals and the new campus offers one of the best infrastructures in the country. It will have the highest technology, in which we provide cutting-edge educational programs that prepare our students to face greater challenges.
This degree is divided into five major areas, Administrative, Financial, Economic, Humanistic and the main axis is Gastronomy. Within our classrooms and laboratories we have a combination of theoretical and practical classes, in which students apply all knowledge of Science, Art and Technology in a product.
Our graduates will have the necessary skills to manage, control and direct a restaurant, kitchen brigades, give consultancies, advice and help generate creative diets to nutritionists, and have their own gastronomic business.
Likewise, the Faculty of Economic and Business Sciences has international agreements such as Martin Berasategui, Disney International Program®, agreements with sister universities in Spain, Colombia, Argentina, Mexico and England, and is currently starting a system of international internships to provide the student a better job opportunity within gastronomy.
The student of the Bachelor of Gastronomy will:
- Have leadership skills to lead groups and achieve maximum coordination of these.
- Have the mentality, skill and vision to lead and start his own business in the gastronomic area.
- Know and present the world and its cultures through the kitchen.
- Be governed by a passion for quality and service focused on the person.
- Able to interpret the latest culinary trends to unify them with creativity and generate new ideas.
- Be highly creative, imaginative, curious and enterprising.
- Dare to try new techniques and gastronomic solutions for the presentation of new creations.
- Manifest the pleasure to explore new culinary cultures and the origin of them.
- Have interdisciplinary skills: human scientific, gastronomic, administrative, as well as artistic and operational.
- Respect and govern a production process to maintain hygiene and quality standards.
Gastronomy degree lasts for 4 years -8 semesters-.
From Monday to Friday -6:50 to 3:00 p.m.-
Throughout this degree, the student will mix theoretical teaching with professional practice in the best companies related to the career.
The curriculum of studies provides a solid knowledge in the professional field and new trends guaranteeing the necessary comprehensive preparation of your preference both nationally and internationally, which is why 95% of our graduates have a job related to their career at the moment to be titled.